I seriously get to excited to write you guys. Ah, this week was so good, and there’s so much to say, but so little time, so I hope we can get through all the good stuff! 🙂
First of all, Mom, thanks for asking questions! I never really know what you guys want to hear so I just go for it–good to know what you want to hear!
1. Nope, just Sister Hart and I in the basement. We have it all to ourselves, but we usually just lock ourselves in our back room with the room heater going because the rest gets to cold. Remember how I told you we realized we could turn the heater on? yeah, turns out we can’t, so it’s always 69 degrees which is to cold for little Al Bal here.
2. Sis Hart and I are the only ones in YSA, the other sisters are in 5th Ward.
3. Yep, the Hull’s are Mormon. 🙂 They’re actually like the president of institute or something up here.
4. The streets aren’t bad. Sis Hart basically has them all memorized since she’s been up here for three months already, and I’m already catching on to where everything is. So proud of myself! Although I failed the general knowledge drivers test–again. But just so no one’s to concerned, it’s one of those dumb 20 question multiple choice question tests that are super easy and so you just overthink everything. 🙂 I promise I can still drive.
5. Haha, I hope I can finally clear up the whole Chinese thing. I really think President told me I’d be learning Chinese so I would have something good to write home. The only Chinese interactions I have throughout the week are when we teach Wang Jin Tian and he will tell us how to say some things in Chinese. Otherwise there’s maybe one Chinese person in our ward…..aaaand that’s about it. 🙂
Our bread rations for the week.
(this is what happens when you get the leftovers from the RS activity)
Random, right? 🙂
6. How do we find people to teach? Well, that is THE question we keep asking ourselves. Haha, since we’re YSA, we can’t really go tracting because we only teach people who are 18-30. So we go mostly off of referrals, and spend most of our time trying to get in contact with less actives. It’s rough, but we make it work. 🙂
7. Alaskians…there’s no way to describe the overall picture. So many people here are military, so there’s people from EVERYWHERE. You have the most redneck people who work at Giant Tire who have teeth falling out and call you Pimpin, and then you have the classy hairstylist in 5th ward. Overall, the main common thread I find is they all like hunting/fishing in some form or other. Having meat from hunting to eat is pretty norm. People are also usually really friendly, but it might be because we try to make everyone we come in contact with smile, so go figure. 🙂
8. Grocery stores–we have a sams club, Fred Meyers, Wal-mart and two safeways up here. So we’re decently updated up here? We don’t really do that much shopping, so I don’t really know. 🙂 I didn’t send you a letter though about my awesome finds at Fireweed Boutique consignment store! 9. Well, let’s be honest, I never really did much shopping before, so i don’t know if things are more expensive, but now that I AM shopping, everything FEELS extra expensive. 🙂 Hope that’s a good enough answer. 🙂
10. Haha, they sell mostly normal stuff at the stores. Haven’t seen anything to crazy. 🙂
11. I’ve heard from Dallin and Emily and Becca and a few buds from the MTC and Hans and Rachel Chow. Basically, you can go reprimand EVERYONE for not sending anything yet! 🙂 But only because I love them a lot and want to hear how everyone’s lives are! Also, you should post my blog link on my Facebook page when you update it so that people can remember that I like exist and stuff. K thanks. 🙂
[That thing is the bag is ‘Muktuk’, aka whale blubber. Probably the most utterly disgusting thing ever. Sis Hart and i almost puked, but with Bianca, the girl who gave it to us, we make up the ‘3 “Muktuk”eers’. Bahaha, I know hilarious. :)]
Hope that covers everything! This week I don’t have quite as many stories, but I’ve tried actually writing down things I want to remember to tell you about!
Mom, if you haven’t gotten it yet, you have a super awesome letter coming from me. 🙂 And just so you know, I didn’t tell them to do it, they just really wanted us to come play sports and stop writing letters, so that was the result. 🙂
Part of why Monday’s are so fun is because I get to be with all my Zonies! Ah, I seriously love all of them TO DEATH! Sis Hart and I told the zone leaders we would be willing to be the birthday committee people if they really really needed us to, and after a lot of prayer and fasting they decided that would be okay. 🙂 SO, we brought cake and ice cream for Elder Landon’s birthday and it was just great. 🙂 We all have so much fun together! I’ll try and take pics sometime so you can see my cute little Fairbanks ‘family’. 🙂
Oh ALSO, I got your package with all of Brig’s letters! Brigham, you are the BEST! It was your turn for a letter so that should get there soon! PS, our letter timing is great. I usually get all your letters/packages right AFTER I get home from EM, and I’m pretty sure you don’t get any of my letters from the week before until AFTER you get to hear from me on here. Haha, so don’t mind any outdated-ness of what I tell you. 🙂 But letters are still the best thing ever. And HAYLEE, I got yours about homecoming finally!!! Made my whole day, and thank you for all the pics and everything. And you’re PERFECTLY fine wearing my dress!! I thought it was so cute and special!! It was ALMOST like I was there. Almost. 🙂
[Awesome garbage trucks here]
So I realized I never really talk about Sister Hart! Time to give my compy comp some EM time. We have SO MUCH FUN together! Seriously, I love her to death. 🙂 We started out getting along fine, but nothing special really, but everyday things just get better and better! Especially this last week we had tons of great times together! We’re both goofballs and laugh and laugh till we cry together and it’s so fun. We’ve already decided we’ll be friends for life, and she’s going to pick out my husband for me for when I get home. Haha, well, maybe. 🙂
BUT, we also do mission work sometimes! Haha, we joke all the time because we’re like the SAME person! We say the same things all the time, before we were even with each other for long. We also agree on everything–obedience, taste in fashion, who we should visit next. It’s so cool and I’m SO blessed to have her! Even last night, we were trying to find a referral, but we both started feeling really creeped out at the same time, so decided to leave. I’m so grateful we can listen to each other!
We’re also call ourselves the ‘chameleon companionship’. One of our strengths is how we interact with people. We’re kind of like chameleon’s because we can change and adapt who we are, depending on the people we’re around. Which is funny to think about who we are when we’re together, but that’s just getting to to much deep thinking right there. Basically, our biggest strength is that we LOVE people. We always joke about how people can ask us any hard question they want, and we’ll just say, “Welll….WE LOVE YOU!!”. I know, awesome missionary response, right there. 🙂 But hey it works for us, and we love it. We’re so grateful to be here together right now to help out however we’re supposed to. 🙂
Hope that gives you a better outlook on the person I spend every second with! I’m so grateful I got her as my companion! Honestly, when I look back on this week, most of what I remember is just having fun times with Sister Hart. We met with people to and everything, but the most memorable things were with her. Comp unity! One of the funny times–we had to drive around for like two hours before an appointment and we were SOOO tired. So we went to the appointment and the girl was late so we just sat there waiting in the car, but it was right outside the dorms where we’re not allowed to proselyte. so we ended up yelling ‘Mormon.org’ at everyone who walked past. Yeah, like, with the windows rolled up. AKA, they couldn’t even hear us. As you can tell, we were pretty out of it, so sometimes I’m grateful God helps things work out so your appointments late so you have to chill for a second and recuperate. It was cool though, because we were able to snap right back and give our investigator a good lesson. 🙂
[Our killer view from where we want the temple to be someday]
I also really enjoy driving around! It’s so wonderful to get to just sit and enjoy God’s beautiful creations around us. We ended up driving to the top of a mountain/hill thing, and we just sat there staring out at the GORGEOUS valley we live in. We might not have a temple here in Fairbanks, but we still go to go up to our ‘Mountain’ and feel God’s love and majesty. 🙂
God’s taking care of us in so many other ways as well! Whether it’s my little or big worries, he helps with them all.
For example–I get worried about these emails because I don’t have time to read through. I was so happy to hear from dad that he tweaks everything before he puts it up here–AKA, I’m hoping you correct all my horrible spelling/grammar mistakes, or stream of thoughts that come out super garbled. 🙂 That was a tiny worry, but a worry nonetheless.
I also read through the talk ‘His Grace is Sufficient’ this week. Everyone’s always told me to, but I never did. Well, now you all really SHOULD go read it, because that’s the best way to explain how God addressed some of my other worries this week. I’m not sure how to explain what those worries were, so how God did it, but he’s brought me so much peace and insight on how to live a happy life. Dad, you’re part about learning how to live a wonderful life in your letter? God’s helping me learn it. I definitely felt it this week.
And it probably had to do with you being here! AH! It was so crazy to walk back into the house and see that Halloween package sitting there and knowing–You were in FAIRBANKS!!! Sis Hart and I joked everywhere we went that we kept seeing you. And then we stayed as far away as we could on Saturday afternoon/evening when we knew you’d be there. I’m also so glad you got my letter I wrote for you! I was kind of stressing you wouldn’t, so I’m glad you did. 🙂
I’m so so glad you got to see the Sister’s! So fun for you to get to meet some of my ‘family’ here! 🙂
Mom–So weird not going to the RS broadcast with you!! BUT, we invited Sharon, my Alaska mom, to come with us, and Katie, our good buddy, and took a picture so I could show you I found some other awesome ladies to watch it with. Sure missed you though. 🙂 And the line about, “Is this Satan telling me this, or is God?” totally made me think of you! That’s something you totally say all the time, and it’s true! I also loved Monson’s talk–God’s love NEVER changes! Ever! So good. 🙂
We also got to go to a baptism this week! It was for a lady who was Jewish, but has been looking into the church for about a year. It was so cool to hear her testimony, and there was the HAPPIEST spirit there. I’m learning SO much about the gospel and the TRUE happiness that comes from it. It’s so beautiful and simple, and yet you feel so FULL from it. That’s the best way I can describe it. 🙂
Sundays’ are always funny. it’s so weird having to look at sacrament from an investigator’s point of view. Yep, we’re kind of weird. Yep, we say funny things during testimony meeting. Yep, we have some deep doctrinal points that confuse investigators a lot. But as stressed as I get about what my investigators are thinking and trying to see through theirs eyes, it’s so fun to find the truthfulness again, and how it can affect their lives. Agency man, I hope they can make the right choice! 🙂
It’s also funny being IN a singles ward but not OF it. You have to know all the dete’s–who’s dating/dated who, where they’re from, the works, but then you don’t actually participate. But it’s great, I love it and all of the branch members. 🙂
Am I sounding more sophisticated yet? More grown up and super mature? Haha, I think we’ve still got a ways to go before we get there, but I sure love getting to try to write down all my thoughts and feelings and adventures for you guys so you can still be a part of my journey here. I studied “for where you treasure is, there shall your heart be also”. I try to make God my main treasure, but you guys are definitely second runner up, so I hope you can feel the piece of my heart that’s still there with you. 🙂 It’s so great to hear the blessings that are being poured out on all of you and it’s comforting knowing that I might be contributing a tiny bit to that. 🙂
Love you so much! Have a fantastic week and enjoy general conference! 🙂
Love, Sister Harrison